Saturday, March 14, 2015

Egg Salad in Avocado Boats


Who's ready for Spring? I know I sure am! The weather here has been so mild this week, that I've decided to post a recipe to go along with the warmer temperature. (Maybe it will stick around.) 

You've probably seen the 'baked egg in an avocado' recipes, that seem to be all over the internet these days. Well I gave one a try & I just don't know... First, you have to scoop out most of the avocado in order to get the egg to fit (kinda defeats the purpose). Then after baking, the texture gets all weird to me. I just don't think I could repeat that one very often. But of course, we bought a huge bag of avocados, and still had a few left after making my yummy Guacamole... So, I decided to try something a little different, and use egg salad instead.

Oh my goodness were these good! Even the kiddos gobbled them up. And they're so elegant looking! They would be perfect for a ladies brunch, bridal or baby shower, maybe even an afternoon social. I could also see these served at an Easter gathering - a great way to use up some of those eggs! Give them a try and let me know what you think...

 Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
  • 10 Eggs (hard boiled, peeled, chilled)
  • 1/4 cup Mustard (I use a 50/50 blend of Dijon and Yellow Mustard)
  • 1/4 cup Sweet Pickle Relish
  • 1/2 cup* Mayonnaise
  • 1 tsp Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning (see picture)
  • Paprika 
  • 3 Avocados
  • Juice of 1 Lime

Method:

We will be making a basic egg salad for this dish. You can use any recipe that you like, but here's how I make mine: 

In a medium bowl, break up the cold, pre-peeled boiled eggs until you reach your desired consistency. Stir in the relish, mustards, and mayonnaise. *Egg sizes, as well as tastes can vary. You may want to add a little more, or a little less mayonnaise to reach your desired level of creaminess. Stir in the Tony's, and sit the egg salad to the side. 

You're looking for avocados that are tender (but not overly so) for this recipe. For additional information on selecting the perfect avocado, click HERE

Cut your avocados in half lengthwise, and remove the pit. Rub lime juice over the exposed flesh, to prevent it from browning. 

To plate this dish, simply place a scoop of egg salad in/on the area of the avocado half where the pit was, and sprinkle the top with a little paprika.

Makes 6 Avocado Boats 


Enjoy!





8 comments:

  1. So yummy! Thanks for sharing at Inspire Me Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so delicious! Looking for easy recipes like this for an upcoming birthday party. Perfect! Pinned

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet this is so delicious! You received the most clicks, last week over a Simple Supper Tuesday. We would love for you to join us again this week, starting Monday night at 8pm EST.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you. That's awesome! :o) I'll see you again Monday...

      Delete
  4. I would never have thougth to put those two tastes together. But then again, I am not much of a foodie. LOL Thanks for sharing on the (mis)Adventures Mondays Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your avocado boat recipe received the most clicks at our Simple Supper Tuesday Linky Party at Moore or Less Cooking Food Blog! Nettie
    LINK: http://mooreorlesscooking.com/2015/03/23/simple-supper-tuesday-linky-party-54/

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover