Monday, November 4, 2013

Yellow Squash Custard Pie


I first came across this recipe back in July, over at Timeless Treasure Trove. I had never heard of Yellow Squash Pie before, but was being so overrun with the little fruit in our Summer garden, that I was desperate to try new recipes. I am so glad that I did! Wouldn't you know it though - just as soon as I found this glorious recipe, my squash gave up on me! Now it's Fall, and through the grapevine I found out that yellow squash will also grow in our area in a fall garden. < Insert Happy Dance! >  Can you believe that I planted more yellow squash plants in our Fall garden than I did in our Summer patch! That is just how good this recipe is!

Our squash are starting to produce now & one of the first things that I made was this pie! Some say it is like a pumpkin pie, but lighter. I think it tastes more like an egg custard pie - which I love. Either way, you have got to try this recipe! If fresh yellow squash is already gone from your area, pin the recipe & put a reminder on your calender for next Summer. You'll be glad that you did.

I really haven't changed much from the original recipe... Why mess with perfection?! I added "Custard" to the name because like I said, it fits. I also prefer to use the frozen pie shells, but you can use whatever type of pie shell you like. The only other thing worth mentioning is that it took me more than twice the squash listed to achieve the 3 cups of puree. These changes are updated in the recipe below.  

 Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
  • 1 Deep Dish Pie Shell    
  • 8-12 Yellow Squash (depending on size), prepared
  • 1 cup Sugar
  • 2 large Eggs
  • 2 Tbs Self-Rising Flour
  • 4 Tbs Butter, melted
  • 1 tsp Vanilla
  • Ground Cinnamon

Method:

Prepare squash by peeling, cutting off the ends,  scraping out the seeds, and cutting into chunks. You'll want to have around 6 cups of squash, to get the right amount of puree later. Cook the squash in boiling water until they are soft, about 30 minutes. Drain off the water and allow the cooked squash to sit in the strainer for a while to remove as much of the excess liquid as possible. 

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Prepare the pie shell by placing it on a cookie sheet, on the counter. Melt the butter in a small bowl and sit it to the side to cool a little.

Once drained, puree the squash until smooth and no chunks remain.  A blender or food processor might be helpful with this. Measure out 3 cups of puree. To this, add the sugar, eggs, flour, melted butter, vanilla, and a 1/4 tsp of cinnamon. Blend until everything is incorporated.

Pour mixture into prepared pie shell. Sprinkle the top with a bit more cinnamon.

Bake in the preheated 325 degree oven until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, usually around 1 hour. Oven temperatures can vary, it could take up to 90 minutes.  

Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 30 minutes to set up before cutting. Can be served warm or cold. I prefer this pie still warm from the oven - maybe with a dollop of whipped cream, but my kids like it better cold... Honestly, it's good either way! Refrigerate any leftovers.


Enjoy!     




No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover